18 Oct Fast and Easy Camping Food
A good meal means different things to different people. However, good eats while camping are important because they can have an impact on the entire trip. I believe good camp food is food that is easy to make and can be made very quickly. Here, are a few tips I have picked up through the years to make good meals:
1. Do not be afraid to choose basic hamburgers . Whether it is hamburgers or hot dogs, most people find that they like one if not both. By adding these to your cooking menu, you increase your chances of making them happy.
2. Meals Ready To Eat (MREs). These staples of the military can also be great for you. With food that tastes similar to what comes out of a can, these are great because of their quick cooking times. Plus, they are reliably inexpensive as you get up to 30 meals for under $ 100 in some cases and they pack well as they were designed for traveling.
3. Freeze dried food . The arguments for MREs also apply here. The pricing is much like them and the other benefits are the same.
4. Food in a can . These are good because of their quick cooking and ready to go formats. All you have to do is heat them in a pot and you are good to go. Plus, the left-over cans can be used to help you around the campsite to store smaller items or for target practice.
5. Boxed foods : Rice and noodle dishes, mac and cheese, and other boxed goods work great in the field. Boxed foods are good because they are reliably light weight, tend to have fast cooking times and the materials can be easily disposed of afterwards.
6. Breakfast food : There are about a dozen different types of bars you can choose from: cereal, granola, fruit, etc. Each one is great because they require no cooking and can be carried with you while hiking. This means you may be able to avoid having to build a morning fire on certain days.
7. Trail Mix and More : These work just like the breakfast food bars. Whether it is dried fruit, beef jerky, or a trail mix, they give you a ready supply of carbohydrates and proteins. Great for hiking trips and keeping your overall camping food weight down.
8. Crackers and More : Crackers are a great food for camping because they keep for a long time and can be used with a number of other items, like tuna, cheese, some meats, etc. While camping, these foods taste extra good, so be sure to add them to your camp food list.
9. Fast Menu Options : These examples are great because everyone enjoys them.
a. Taco salad (chips, shredded lettuce, and pinto)
b. Pita Bread Pizza (Pizza sauce, cheddar or mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, pita bread).
10. Drinks for Camping : It is best to avoid drinks that are liquid form. Choose powders to reduce your weight as you can always add water later. Popular camping choices are coffee, cocoa, tea, tang, and Gatorade powder.
These camping foods tend to be crow pleasers because they are easy to make, easy to carry, and leave little left over trash. Do yourself a favor and try out a few as we are sure they will be good for your group and easier on the cook.
Source by Jeff Marshall